This project, led by Newcastle City Council, used data to support a safe return to the high street. They have built a website to share data to help people make informed decisions about visiting their town centre, to help them feel safe and encourage economic renewal.
Working with Newcastle Urban Observatory, local authority partners and project delivery partner Hedgehog Labs, Newcastle City Council is delivering an 8-week long project. The project has recently started their second delivery stage that aims to:
- increase uptake and promote the website across a wider geography in an efficient and effective way
- deliver a better user experience with safe travel and transport data
- produce a guide that allows other councils to create their own versions of this tool
The project builds on previously completed work that aimed to:
- understand user fears, motivations and opinions about visiting the city centre during the COVID-19 pandemic
- produce an updated version of the website
- understand how other councils could adopt this website
The project follows Agile delivery principles, incorporating user research and service design into its activities. Working in the open, the project hosts fortnightly show and tells to update on progress and share findings.
Watch the project present at Digital Leaders week 2021: