This project, led by Southwark Council, builds on previously completed discovery and alpha work. It aimed to produce a working version of a Back-office Planning System (BOPS) for local authorities by developing better ways of recording and using information.
The project wants to create a user-centred back-office town planning system that uses accurate, up-to-date records and data to increase efficiency across the planning application process and satisfy the needs of end users.
Who are the users?
- Planning officers who process planning applications
- Planning managers who sign off the planning application decision
- Applicants, who will receive a quicker decision and can then start building sooner
The minimum viable product (MVP) is being built to be ready for private beta testing by the end of 2020. This will allow local planning authorities to manage Lawful Development Certificate application.
Key features of the MVP include:
- Data driven process (minimise the use of PDFs)
- GOV.UK Notify integration (for emailing decisions to applicants)
- An embedded document management system
- An API that can be used by a planning register or reporting tools
- Scalable architecture built on Amazon Web Services