The London Borough of Ealing (LBE) has a wide landscape of line of business (“LOB”) systems hosted both on premise and in the Cloud. These systems support some 220 Customer Service Process which enable customers to receive the services they need from LBE. The systems and linkage between these systems have largely been home-grown and installed by various third-party companies. There is a need by LBE to:
- Rationalise the Customer Service function in terms of its system efficiency and running costs.
- Simplify the investment in IT Infrastructure to allow the effective management and development of these systems by an in-house capability but with a uniform and simplified approach to all systems, supported by Cloud technologies to lower the cost of ownership and operational cost.
We have developed a structured approach to identifying a candidate solution that will, where possible, advocate a streamlined development of specific Customer Service Processes with the net result of offering reduction in LOB systems, reduction in running costs, increased revenues through clarity of data, recovered debt and identifying fraud.
In partnership with Microsoft our discovery exercise identified we could streamline 187/220 of aforementioned procedures to six core standardised processes sing new technologies.
Our findings revealed our processes were inefficent due to:
- Multiple applications
- The excessive use of manual processes
- Customers were using channels to contct the Council that are inefficient e.g. face to face contact
- Customers could be “nudged” using simple technologial changes to shift their behaviour to contact
- Similar tasks were peformed in multiple different ways.
It was decided that we would create standard processes that would be common accross all business areas that differ only in the data that they capure. This would :-
- decrease the deployment times, ad associated costs, of services into the portal
- have a common naviagtion model for citizens accross all cloud application aand services
- contributed to savings accoss the Council
- decrease trainig times accross the organisation
Microsoft have prodcued an analysis document with the council outlining the way this can be implemented
- Digital leadership training (for council leaders, service managers or senior executives)
- Digital and agile awareness
- Introduction to digital business analysis
- Agile for teams