About The Levelling Up and Regeneration Bill
The Levelling Up and Regeneration Bill was published on 11 May 2022 and outlines the government’s plans to level up the UK.
The Bill includes five Digital Planning powers to level up the planning system by establishing a modern data-driven system, where planning data is openly available and more easily accessible.
Our powers will improve the current planning system by:
- Setting consistent data standards for the way in which planning authorities will be required to receive and process planning data
- Publishing data openly, which will allow anyone to reuse this data free of charge
- And ensure planning authorities use approved planning software that supports a modern and data driven planning system.
What does this mean for local planning authorities and communities?
These powers are intended to establish a modern digital planning system to:
- enable high-quality, open data that underpins the planning system to be easily accessible, which will drive better informed decision-making by local planning authorities to deliver the developments communities want in their local areas
- deliver a more efficient and user-friendly planning system, with local planning authorities making best use of modern, digital tools and services
- enable more people, and a more diverse range of people, to engage with the planning system to better understand the trade-offs and benefits involved with proposed developments in their local areas
- transform the relationship between communities, local authorities and developers
Find out more
Attend the planning live broadcast event, 12 May
Join DLUHC for a broadcast hosted by Joanna Averley, Chief Planner and Simon Gallagher, Director of Planning. They will provide a briefing on the contents of the Bill, and on the next steps for the planning system.
The broadcast will take place on Thursday 12 May from 3:00pm to 4.00pm, using Microsoft Teams. If you would like to receive the joining details, please sign up using this form.
You will be sent the joining details around one hour beforehand. This event is open to all.
Attend the service providers briefing, 19 May
techUK and the DLUHC Digital Planning team are running a briefing session on the new digital planning powers written into The Levelling Up and Regeneration Bill.
The event is aimed at senior representatives from key service providers in the planning software market, such as development management software and PropTech companies.
The event will take place virtually on Thursday 19 May from 10am to 11.30am.
The briefing will be followed by a Question and Answer session.
Learn more about our work to improve digital planning
We have been learning and testing with local authorities and communities on improving planning data, planning software and digital citizen engagement:
- read about our planning data projects
- learn about our improving planning software EOIs and projects
- read about Round 1 and Round 2 of our digital citizen engagement fund