Discover the importance of data and how to harness its power to help you make better business decisions.
Become a data-driven decision-maker and improve your problem-solving skills
As the digital world plays an increasingly large role in our daily lives, so too does the use of data. It is arguably one of the most valuable commodities in the world, and this two-week course will teach you methods to tap into its potential in your daily life and career.
You’ll be introduced to key data concepts as you learn how to solve everyday problems and make effective decisions using data.
You’ll also develop skills to help you analyse and interpret trends, and produce a plan to solve a real-world problem with evidence and data.
Discover the importance of data collection
To understand why data collection is so valuable, you’ll explore its notion and meaning before learning key terminology.
You’ll consider the differences between data, metadata, and how individual sets of data can come together to form datasets that give you greater insights and an understanding of a situation.
Understand data ethics in real-world situations
It’s important to explore the ethics and rules of using other people’s data so you understand the restrictions to adhere to.
You’ll examine how data is created, shared, and used in surprising ways before debating the ethical considerations of data collection.
You’ll also learn how to present data in a meaningful way that’s easy to understand through data visualisation techniques. To give real-world context to your learning, you’ll study these data concepts through the case study of a small business owner.
Whether you’re entering the world of work or forging a new career for yourself, this course will help prepare you for the fast-moving digital space.
What topics will you cover?
- Explore the notion of data and what that actually means
- Learn the key terminology related to dealing with data
- Explore how data can be used to solve problems
- Explore individual sets of data that can be brought together to form datasets, which can then be used for greater insights
- Explore the ethics and rules of using other people’s data
- Learn how to turn data into something visual and easy to understand
Who this course is suitable for
This course is designed for people looking to work with data to progress in their current role or to enter the digital workplace.
It will help you build confidence in using digital technology and boost your digital skills.
What you’ll achieve
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Describe the difference between data, metadata and knowledge
- Summarise how data is used to solve problems
- Interpret trends and analyse patterns from a dataset
- Debate the ethical considerations of data collection
- Produce a plan to solve a problem with evidence and data
- Apply a simple visualisation technique to make data easier to understand and work with
Who developed this course
University of Leeds
As one of the UK’s largest research-based universities, the University of Leeds is a member of the prestigious Russell Group and a centre of excellence for teaching.